Andrew Costa is an Assistant Professor and Schlegel Research Chair in Clinical Epidemiology & Aging in the Department of Health Research Methods, Evidence, and Impact (HEI) at McMaster University. He also serves as the Research Lead at the DeGroote School of Medicine, Waterloo Regional Campus. He is an interRAI Fellow where he is engaged in the Network of Excellence in Acute Care (iNEAC) and leads the Emergency Department Working Group. He has received CIHR awards for his research in health services and policy.
- Evidence-based care and policy in seniors and geriatric care
- Development of better senior care models in home and community care, emergency departments and acute care
- Development of decision support tools and technology for geriatric emergency management and emergency department avoidance
- Use of large health care data repositories and pragmatic trial methods to evaluate elder care services and policy across settings
- Funding and performance systems in seniors health care reform
Snider T, Melady D, Costa AP. Comfort with geriatric emergency medicine competencies: A survey of Canadian emergency medicine residents. Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2015.(In press).
Costa AP, Hirdes JP, Bell C, Bronskill S, Heckman G, Mitchell L, Poss JW, Sinha S. The DIVERT Scale: A method to identify the probability of unplanned emergency department use among frail community dwelling seniors. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2015. 63(4) 763–769.
Costa AP, Harkness K, Haughton D, Heckman GA, McKelvie RS. Risk of emergency department use among community-dwelling older adults: A review of risk factors and screening methods. Clinical Practice. 2015.11(6): 763-776.
Costa AP, Poss JW, McKillop I. Contemplating case mix: A primer on case mix classification and management. Healthcare Management Forum. 2015. 28(1), 15-21.
Costa AP, Hirdes JP, Heckman GA, Dey AB, Jonsson P, Lakhan P, Ljunggren G, Singler K, Sjostrand F, Swoboda W, Wellens N, Gray LC. Geriatric syndromes predict post-discharge outcomes among older emergency department patients: Findings from the interRAI Multinational Emergency Department Study. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2014. 21(4): 422-433.
Costa AP, Hirdes JP. Clinical characteristics and service needs of alternate level of care patients waiting for long-term care in Ontario Hospitals. Healthcare Policy. 2010. 6(1): 32-46.
- Evidence-based health care
- Aging and the health care system
- Health systems theory and analytics
- Applied statistical modeling